Army of helpers rescue village pub hit by blaze

Andrew O'Shea in the burnt out shell of the upstairs laundry room where the fire started at the Old Ship Inn at Pointon. EMN-141015-170124001
Andrew O'Shea in the burnt out shell of the upstairs laundry room where the fire started at the Old Ship Inn at Pointon. EMN-141015-170124001

The Sleaford Standard has led a rallying call via its website to the community’s tradespeople for help after a landlord’s pub went up in flames

In a bitter double blow Andrew O’Shea, 54, and his wife Bianca, 40, had failed to renew the insurance cover while he was incapacitated by a stroke.

The couple have run the Olde Ship Inn at Pointon for 10 years.

The fire started at the High Street premises last Monday afternoon while the couple were out. Neighbours saw smoke coming from the roof and raised the alarm.

The flames were so intense firefighters told Mr O’Shea the upstairs utility room reached 1,000 degrees, melting metal and causing parts of the roof above the living accommodation to collapse. Amazingly the downstairs of the pub was untouched, but plumbing and wiring were out of action meaning they could not trade.

Mr O’Shea said: “I had a stroke in the summer and was in Lincoln County Hospital and missed a payment. There was a lot going on and it was overlooked.”

He turned to The Standard seeking help from local tradespeople to save this 200 year old pub.

Roofing contractor, Paul Greenslade is fixing the roof, electrician and neighbour Paul Burrows has restored electricity, Mark Osborne and Jason Brooke have fixed the plumbing and bathroom, Mick Toms has got their phone line working, and they thanked Gary Bellamy, friends and neighbours for helping clean up.

Mr O’Shea said: “We will be re-opening on Wednesday night (tonight). With your newspaper’s appeal and help we have managed to achieve all this. It is unbelievable, people just coming over and mucking in. We are so grateful for everyone’s help.”

A spokesman for the fire service said the blaze ignited due to a fault in the tumble 
drier.