Teen gets 12 months for senseless attack

A Navenby teenager who carried out a vicious and unprovoked attack on a Norwegian air force officer who was visiting Lincoln has been sentenced to 12 months in a young offenders institution.

Aaron Riley, 19, of Addison Close, Navenby, was caught on CCTV as he punched and kicked helpless Andreas Johansen during a two minute attack on Lincoln High Street on May 23 this year.

Lincoln Crown Court heard Mr Johansen suffered injuries including a bloody nose and was left “shocked and appalled” by the experience.

The court was told Mr Johansen had been socialising with a friend in the city and was returning to his hotel at around 2am when Riley launched his attack.

Andrew Scott, prosecuting, said: “Mr Johansen was walking towards the Stonebow when he felt a sharp blow to the face come out of knowhere.

“That was the last thing he recalled until a police officer approached him and noticed his bloody nose.”

CCTV footage from north of the Stonebow showed Riley punching Mr Johansen to the ground, and then aiming further blows, kicks and stamps to his body.

“There were numerous kicks and stamps, and around 20 punches,” Mr Scott added.

Mr Johansen suffered a bloody nose, sore jaw, back pain and headaches but did not seek medical attention until he returned to Norway.

In a victim impact statement which was read out in court, Mr Johansenn, who serves with the Royal Norwegian Air Force, said he did nothing to provoke the attack.

Mr Johansen said: “I am a professional person. I am appalled at the behaviour of the other male and did not expect it to happen in Lincoln.”

In mitigation the court was told Riley helped to look after his elderly grandmother and was a hardworking apprentice mechanic.

Riley admitted a charge of assault causing actual bodily harm.

Passing sentence Judge Michael Heath said it was miracle that Mr Johansen did not suffer more serious injuries.

Judge Heath told Riley: “Mr Johansen was over here on business and making his way back to his hotel, acting peaceably.

“He found himself on the High Street just after 2am and was then subjected by you to a vicious, sustained and entirely unprovoked attack.”

* A flat on Navigation Wharf, Sleaford, was burgled on Saturday, at around 9am.

The intruder got in via the front door and left in the direction of the National Centre for Craft and Design.