A second life saving defibrillator device has been damaged in a senseless act of vandalism.
Members of Sleaford Round table’s SHOCK Sleaford charity initiative were alerted last night (Sunday) that another of their units had been damaged at the weekend.
The box containing the defibrillator device which can be used by members of the public in emergency situations has been partially ripped off the wall of Woodside Nursery where it has been installed for several months.
A speechless and disappointed Christian Slingsby of SHOCK Sleaford said he was told about the damage by nursery owner Katie Wood at about 6pm when she popped by her premises in Hazel Grove.
She plans to review her CCTV camera footage to help identify the culprits and pass on details to the police.
Mr Slingsby said: “They have tried to wrench it off the wall with a crowbarand they have got it part way there and the mechanism will not work until it is fixed. We now have to buy a new box, costing over £300, which will delay us installing one of the units we had planned to put in.”
He is trying to get it repaired today (Monday) ready to be back in action tonight but needs a handyman to do the work urgently.
Mr Slingsby said: “It is just about getting through to these people, whoever they are, the seriousness of what they are doing. It is not just a useless box on the wall - it could save someone’s life. How would they feel if someone dies because of their actions?”
Last November, soon after SHOCK Sleaford was started up, the debrillator box outside the public toilets on Boston Road recreation were damaged. But since then they have been incident free.
Fundraising is still paying for more defibrillator boxes to be installed in and around Sleaford in strategic locations and the programme is going well, but any damage done diverts money away from installing more units.