Fire safety talk for youngsters

Sleaford firefighters let Church Lane School reception pupils try the hose. EMN-151022-155755001
Sleaford firefighters let Church Lane School reception pupils try the hose. EMN-151022-155755001

Youngsters at Church Lane Primary School in Sleaford were taught how to keep safe in the kitchen as part of a national campaign.

Members of the full time fire crew at Sleaford visited the reception class on National Burns Awareness Day (Wednesday October 21), run by the Children’s Burns Trust,

They talked about smoke alarms, hazards in the kitchen, staying safe on Bonfire Night and helping the children understand how to ‘Stop, Drop and Roll’ if their Hallowe’en costumes catch fire, after a recent high profile incident involving TV presenter Claudia Winkleman.

Colin Calam, Crew Manager, said: “It’s so important that youngsters are aware of the dangers of being near cookers and around the hazards in the kitchen – such as hot kettles, hot saucepans and boiling liquids. The statistics, released by the International Burn Injury Database, are shocking. They show 5,234 children under the age of five were so badly burnt that they had to be admitted to an NHS specialist burns service in 2014 – that is more than 14 toddlers every single day.

“As part of our visit to the primary school, we covered things such as staying safe around sparklers and at firework displays, learning and practising safety techniques, as well as asking the children to remind their parents to check their smoke alarms.”

One pupil was presented with a special pair of ear defenders, teacher Kelly Hakes dressed up as a fireman and all pupils tried out the fire hose.