Sleaford girl (8) sees spider crawl out of bite in her leg

Scarlett Hinchliffe's insect bite - after a 'spider' crawled out. Photo: SWNS EMN-170517-112820001

Scarlett Hinchliffe's insect bite - after a 'spider' crawled out. Photo: SWNS EMN-170517-112820001

0
Have your say

An eight-year-old Sleaford girl was rushed to hospital after a spider crawled out of a bite in her leg while she was in the bath.

Scarlett Hinchliffe suddenly became ill with flu-like symptoms after being bitten while out walking in the woods last Wednesday (May 10).

Scarlett Hinchliffe and her mum Jodi. Photo: SWNSIncredibly, a small spider then burst out of her leg while she was having a bath at her nan's house. EMN-170517-112847001

Scarlett Hinchliffe and her mum Jodi. Photo: SWNSIncredibly, a small spider then burst out of her leg while she was having a bath at her nan's house. EMN-170517-112847001

Her mum Jodi Hinchliffe, 36, rushed her to hospital on Thursday (May 11) when she had a temperature between 38C and 39C.

But doctors diagnosed her with a spider bite and gave her antibiotics before sending her home.

Scarlett was then at her nan’s house on Friday when orange and yellow poison then started oozing out of a small hole in her leg after the skin covering it burst.

Incredibly, a small spider then burst out of her leg while she was having a bath.

Scarlett Hinchliffe inside hospital after becoming ill with an insect bite. Photo: SWNS EMN-170517-112836001

Scarlett Hinchliffe inside hospital after becoming ill with an insect bite. Photo: SWNS EMN-170517-112836001

Mum Jodi believes the arachnid may have embedded in her daughter’s leg while she was playing on a tyre swing as they walked their dog in woods near Sleaford.

The hairdresser, who lives with Scarlett and her other son Jack, 10, in Sleaford, said: “I first noticed the lump behind the knee on Scarlett’s right leg when I put her in the bath on Thursday night.

“She became so poorly so fast and her breathing was unstable.

“She didn’t feel anything bite her. What should have been a lovely evening dog walk on Wednesday has turned into a nightmare.

“I am pleased Scarlett was with my mum as I think I would have passed out when I saw it.

“She told me she felt something crawl out of her leg and thinks it is quite cool despite being so poorly.

“My mum said she saw something floating in the water and she thought it was a scab.

“But then she picked it up and it had legs. It looked like a really small spider.

“She was so ill. If I had not taken her to the hospital that night and left her I am not sure if she would have still been here on Friday.

“I am still in shock, you just don’t expect to see this sort thing happen.”

Jodi initially couldn’t pinpoint what was wrong with Scarlett who had flu-like symptoms and a temperature between 38C and 39C on Thursday.

Scarlett stayed with her nan on Friday while Jodi went to work but she rushed around after hearing the spider had crawled out of the bite.

Jodi added: “I tried to take her to the walk-in centre at Sleaford Medical Centre but they said they could not see her.

“I called 111 who told me to take Scarlett to hospital and said she needed to be seen within an hour.

“Grantham Hospital A&E, which is a 10-minute drive, was closed so I had to drive to Boston.” She was seen after a five-hour wait.

Jodi said: “Doctors said if there was no improvement by Sunday then to bring her back.

“On Sunday we couldn’t get seen due to the cyber-attack so I took her to my GP on Monday.

“They said if it had been a tick only it’s head would be buried.

“The hospital didn’t even know there was anything inside.”

Scarlett is still unwell and is on antibiotics to clear the infection left behind but is expected to make a full recovery.

Jodi is now urging other parents and anyone who becomes ill suddenly with flu-like symptoms to check themselves over.