A dedication ceremony for a plaque and scroll to commemorate the 72 former pupils of Sleaford’s William Alvey School who died in the Great War was led by Father Philip Johnson of St Denys’ Church.
‘Project 72’ saw pupils researching names originally on a special scroll unveiled in 1922 on Empire Day (May 24).
Over the following years the scroll was lost until current Alvey children unearthed all the names.
With artist David Mackie, they designed and made a permanent bronze memorial set in the school wall as part of the wider When in Sleaford heritage trail. A copy of the plaque, printed on a new scroll, was presented to the church, then pupils walked the trail.
The scroll and memorial echo the Vicar’s words from 1922: “Greater love hath no man than this that a man may lay down his life for his friends.”