AFTER the discovery of an unexpected hitch-hiker, a poisonous insect has been delivered into safe hands.
This week, a Skegness family found a scorpion in their suitcase after they returned from their holiday in Spain.
They called the RSPCA, who arranged for the scorpion, still in the case, to be taken to Reptile Life in Ruskington, where expert herpatologist Rob Louth removed it using appropriate safety equipment.
He later identified it as a Mediterranean yellow scorpion, which is one of the most common breeds found in Spain and is listed under the Dangerous Wild Animal Act 1976, meaning a licence is needed to keep it in the UK.
He said that although this was not a deadly scorpion, they can give a nasty and painful sting that would have required hospital treatment.
The RSPCA said it is not unusual for scorpions to stowaway in luggage or shoes but they will normally escape before they are spotted. But holiday makers are advised to check clothes, towels and shoes properly when packing to return