Warning after death of trapped snakes

THE RSPCA is reminding the public about the dangers of netting after four grass snakes died after becoming trapped in netting in the north of the district.

RSPCA animal collection officer Fran Whitten was called to the incident on Saturday, July 28 in Washingborough.

The snakes had all become entangled in the plastic netting and may have been there a number of days as the owner of the property had been on holiday.

ACO Whitten said: “This was a very sad incident which could have been easily avoided, but many people are still unaware of the dangers netting can pose to wildlife.

“The owner of the property was devastated, as he had no idea that this netting would cause such a hazard to the snakes.

“I managed to free three of them, but three had died at the scene and a fourth had to be put to sleep because its injuries were so severe.”

She added: “Netting of every type poses a dangerous hazard to our wildlife and it is important to remind the public of how lethal it can be to animals.

“Goal nets are often set up and left unattended in gardens and parks with many people not realising they can be death traps for wildlife.

“Hedgehogs are one of the most commonly trapped animals, but all animals and pets are at risk, from birds to pet cats. It is an extremely frightening experience for any animal, but particularly for wildlife, as they are so wary of human contact.

“The problem is so easily avoidable by ensuring nets are safely removed.

“I would ask anyone with a net in their garden to please consider the consequences for animals and make frequent checks so that any trapped wildlife may be freed.”

If you spot a trapped animal, you can call the RSPCA national cruelty land and advice line on 0300 1234 999.