Sleaford Town have said that they will accept the charges the FA has today laid against them in regards to the incident at the weekend.
However, they want to put their side forward.
Club official Jamie Shaw said: “We will accept the charge, but will request a personal hearing to explain the mitigating circumstances and put our defence forward.”
He said the club had been told the charge doesn’t directly influence the decision as to what happens with the result of the game - adding they were hoping to have an answer in the next few days as to whether they will go through to the next round or not.
Thursday, September 19, 1.23pm – Sleaford Town and Huntingdon Town have both been charged by the Football Association following ‘all hell’ breaking loose at their FA Cup First Round Qualifying tie on Saturday. An official statement from the FA said: “Sleaford Town and Huntingdon Town have both been charged by The FA following their FA Cup First Round Qualifying tie on Saturday 14 September 2013.
“The charge is that both clubs failed to ensure that their players and/or officials and/or supporters conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and/or refrained from provocative and/or violent behaviour.”
Both clubs have until September 24 to respond to the charge.
It follows an incident during the match where the referee was forced to abandon the game after a ‘melee’.
The referee abandoned Saturday’s FA Cup qualifying game with just three minutes of normal time left on the clock, and with Sleaford 2-1 up.
At the time Sleaford’s Jamie Shaw then described a ‘melee’.
He said: “We were 2-1 up and life’s peachy when all hell broke loose.”
Both teams have released statements regarding the incident - including Huntingdon claiming racist comments were aimed at their players, something Sleaford Town refute.
For more details see this week’s Sleaford Standard.