RAF personnel joined members of the Friends of Metheringham Airfield to commemorate and remember the fallen on Armistice Day.
Wing Commander Stuart Smiley, Commanding Officer of the Operations Wing at RAF Coningsby and Warrant Officer Shippey, Station Warrant Officer attended the service held at the memorial at Metheringham Airfield at 11am on Wednesday.
Wing Commander Smiley laid a wreath on behalf of RAF Coningsby which was followed by the Ode of Remembrance read by Valerie Dodimead.
There were readings from local school children, pupils from Mrs Mary King’s C of E Primary School in Martin and Walcott Primary School.
RAF Metheringham was a RAF bomber command airfield situated between the villages of Metheringham and Martin during the Second World War and was opened in October 1943, closinh in the spring of 1946.
Although now mostly returned to agricultural and commercial uses, the site retains one original runway, the eastern perimeter track and some contemporary buildings together with a No. 106 Squadron RAF Memorial Garden and a visitor centre.
No. 106 Squadron operated AVRO Lancaster and relocated from RAF Syerston near Grantham to operate from Metheringham throughout the remainder of the war and only disbanded on February 18, 1946.
During a raid on Schweinfurt flown from RAF Metheringham during the night of April 26-27, 1944, the Flight Engineer of a 106 Squadron Lancaster, Sergeant Norman Jackson, volunteered to climb out along the wing of the aircraft in mid-flight and extinguish an engine fire started after a German fighter attack. However, after extinguishing the fire he became badly burned and was blown off the wing. Despite parachuting to safety he landed heavily and was captured, spending the rest of the war in captivity. Sergeant Jackson was awarded the Victoria Cross for his selfless act of extreme bravery in attempting to save the crew.