As the nights get colder and darker, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue is warning the public to take care when using candles in the home.
The warning comes after crews attended a serious house fire in Boston over the weekend which was caused by a candle left unattended.
Steve Screaton, deputy community safety manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “Many of us like to light candles in our homes. However, they, like any naked flame, can be dangerous and can easily cause a fire, so it’s really important that people take care.”
Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue’s top tips to stay safe are:
* Make sure candles are secured in a heat-resistant holder, on a stable surface, and away from other candles and materials that may catch fire;
* Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times and do not move the candle once it has been lit;
* Never leave a candle unattended, or alone with children or pets;
* Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, but avoid draughts, vents or air currents;
* Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning as long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring;
* Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on burn time and proper use;
* Use a snuffer or a spoon to put out candles - it’s safer than blowing them out which may cause sparks.
Steve adds: “Even with these precautions, it’s still important to be prepared should the worst happen. A working smoke alarm can give you the time you need to get out and call 999, so keep you and your family safe by testing it regularly and by planning an escape route.”