Lorry driver hits colleague with bar after coffee spill

Lincoln Crown Court.
Lincoln Crown Court.

A lorry driver from Great Hale struck a work colleague with a metal bar following a dispute over a spilled cup of coffee, Lincoln Crown Court was told yesterday (Tuesday).

Terry Townsend challenged a fellow driver after discovering the spilled drink in his cab at the Mark Goddard Transport depot near Spalding.

Phil Howes, prosecuting, said Townsend grabbed hold of the colleague and was pushed back. Townsend then shouted ‘I’m going to kill you’ before going to his lorry and returning with the metal bar, the court was told.

Mr Howes said Townsend hit his victim to the lower back and to the left side of the head behind the ear.

The fellow driver was knocked to the floor and when he tried to get back on his feet he was struck a further blow to his left wrist, the court was told.

He suffered reddening to his back, swelling to his left wrist and head and grazes to both elbows and his left hip.

Townsend, 52, of Grove Street, admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm on June 16 of this year.

Christopher Geeson, defending, asked the court to impose a suspended jail sentence in line with the recommendation of a probation report.

Judge Stuart Rafferty gave Townsend a nine-month jail term suspended for a year with 12 months supervision. Townsend was also ordered to pay £250 compensation.

The Judge told Townsend: “I accept that at the time this happened you were under a great deal of personal stress.”

“That explains why on this particular day , with so little cause for provocation, you behaved in the way you did. This is simply pressure building up on you because of what was happening. This day this was the last straw that broke the camel’s back.

“You armed yourself with a weapon after the argument had taken place. If I thought for a moment you had done so intending to cause serious injury with it you would have gone straight to prison.

“It was an ugly incident with an ugly and unnecessary injury.”