The vast majority of children have been given a place at their preferred primary school of choice through the admissions system this year, according to figures released by the county council’s education department today (Tuesday).
Debbie Barnes, Director of Children’s Services, said: “The large majority of children – even more than last year - will be going to their first school of preference and this number should be even higher by September. It’s always our intention to support as many parents as possible with their preferences. Every year the overwhelming majority of parents are successful in gaining admission to the school of their choice.”
Along with the rest of the country, Lincolnshire has experienced high numbers of families wanting their children to start school in September. There are nearly 7,500 children wanting a school place this year.
Of the offers made to Lincolnshire primary schools, 7,059 (94.3%) children will receive their first preference school.
The figure for second preference offers is 299 (3.9 per cent), and 53 for third preference offers (0.7 per cent). A total of 75 (one per cent) children will be offered a local school that is not one of their preferences, says the authjority.
The vast majority of parents/carers can pick up their offer using the online system from April 18 – go to http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/schooladmissions .
Parents have until May 17 to lodge an appeal if they are unhappy with the offered school. If they return the appeal form by the deadline it will be heard before the end of term - if it is received late it will still be heard but this may be in September.
Because of appeals and movement on the reserve list, it is normal for the percentage of first preferences to increase by the time children start in September, says the council.