Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service is warning people to be extra careful about starting bonfires in Lincolnshire’s current tinder-dry conditions
The message comes as Metheringham firefighters were called out to an address in Princes Street in the village at 9.30pm last night (Tuesday) to put out a garden fire.
A fire service spokesman said a garden waste bonfire had been allowed to spread to a conifer hedge.
The crew used a hose reel to put out the hedge and rubbish.
The fire service added: “Please help us to prevent grass and field fires. Don’t start a fire unless you have sited it away from surrounding vegetation, have adequate supplies of water nearby and are watching it at all times. If you see a fire out of control report it quickly, fires spread fast.”
The spokesman added: “We have attended a large number of fires throughout the day and this evening caused by bonfires which have then spread. Please avoid having a bonfire during these hot and dry conditions. #CommonSense.”