There has been a fire in a domestic garage this morning (Wednesday) in Sleaford.
A 26-year-old man, Garath Schofield, was given oxygen by firefighters for smoke inhalation at the scene of the blaze on Newcomb Court, off Covell Road, Holdingham reported this morning at 9.15am.
Two fire crews from Sleaford plus crews from Billingborough and Brant Broughton attended, according to a fire service spokesman.
Mr Schofield, a mobile farrier by trade, was working in the garage at the time. He said: “I was cleaning brake calipers for my car at the bench and realised there was a flame behind me where fluid on the other caliper had caught fire.
“I chucked it in a bucket of water but that didn’t work, so I sprayed it with a fire extinguisher but there wasn’t enough in it to put it out, so I threw a fire blanket over it but that pushed the flames outwards and made it spread.”
His mum was at the rear of the house when she heard him yell to call the fire service, who promptly arrived to extinguish it with hoses and breathing apparatus.
Some roof tiles were removed to tackle small pockets of fire left.
Mr Schofield said: “I said I was alright but they insisted on giving me some oxygen for breathing in the smoke. We are fine but it has made a mess of everything in the garage.”
The fire was contained in the garage and did not spread to the rest of the house.
A fire service spokesman said: “We don’t have a cause of the fire yet but may know later today.”