A family on their way to the shops and school had to flee from their car as it burst into flames.
Michelle Garfoot, 38, and her two daughters Imogene, 13, and Eloise, 14, of Sleaford, had just pulled up at the junction of London Road to turn onto Grantham Road when smoke and flames started to spring from under the bonnet of their black Ford Kuga 4x4.
A stunned Mrs Garfoot said: “I was on the way to the supermarket and was giving the girls a lift to the High School and didn’t realise at first it was our car - I thought the smoke was coming from another car’s exhaust next to me.
“It was scary. My main concern was to get the girls out and away from the car and to keep other people out of the way because you never know what might happen. A van driver came over and told people to get back and asked if I was alright.”
Having called the fire brigade at 8.32am they were there within minutes. She said: “They were brilliant. They got here really fast and was efficient and attentive and reassuring - they need a pay rise!”
Sleaford full time crew manager Chris Lowe said they used breathing apparatus and two hoses to extinguish the fire and isolated the battery to make it safe before moving it off the road out of the way of queuing traffic which was being marshalled by other members of the crew.