Boston League title race wide open

Rippinghale and Folkingham (blue) v Freiston (Green). Greg Allen (blue), Patrick Kacirkova (Green) EMN-150326-094842001
Rippinghale and Folkingham (blue) v Freiston (Green). Greg Allen (blue), Patrick Kacirkova (Green) EMN-150326-094842001

Jason Cooke struck a hat-trick for Woodhall Spa United in their 3-0 home win against Billinghay Athletic in the Premier Division of the Boston Saturday League.

Woodhall dominated the contest for long periods of the game and to such an extent that Billingahy failed to muster one worthwhile effort on goal. Final score 3-0.

Spilsby Town threw the Premier Division title race wide open with a storming 2-1 home win against rivals, Swineshead Institute. Eddie Rich gave Spilsby a 1-0 half-time lead before Swineshead levelled the scores after the break. Travis Herberts stepped up with Spilsby’s winner to earn three crucial title-chasing points. Spilsby went back to the top of the table, but Swineshead still have two games in hand.

Pointon and Old Leake shared the points following their 1-1 draw. Pointon held the upperhand in the first half without breaking the deadlock and the half time score remained goal-less.

Old Leake struck early in the second half, James Brader crossing for Antony Slater to head home for the second week running. Pointon salvaged a point with 20 minutes remaining through Sam Husband.

Heckington Millers remain on course for promotion from Division One following a comfortable 7-2 away win at Old Doningtonians. The match started well for The Millers, who controlled the early stages and they went desperately close in the first half hour.

The breakthrough finally came from the penalty spot when Dom Kew was brought down by the keeper and the confident Kew duly stepped up to slot the ball into the bottom right hand corner.

This spurred Millers on and they added two more before half time through Dom Kew, again, and a smart lob from Anthony Besford.

The second half was more of the same, with good goals coming from Seb Kew and Tom Buckberry. Old Dons then broke away and pulled one back before Millers scored again thanks to a good finish from Nathan Thompson. The Dons added a second before Dom Kew completed his hat-trick late on with another good finish.

Rippingale & Folkingham finished on a high note with a 3-0 home win against Freiston. Tom Edwards, James Ferrow and Will Patchett hit the goals for R & F as they brought the curtain down on their season.

The Division Three match between Pointon ‘A’ and Park United didn’t finish until around six o’clock after the start was delayed because of an unfortunate injury to Ryan Huskisson. The Park United player suffered a dislocated knee during the warm-up and had to wait for an ambulance to transport him to hospital.

The match finally got underway, just as the Pointon/Old Leake game finished on an adjacent pitch, with Pointon ‘A’ taking three crucial points in their promotion push thanks to a goal in each half from Gary Handley and Mark Kelby to make the final score 2-0.

The final of the Willoughby Shield will be contested by Billinghay Athletic Reserves and Fishtoft Reserves.

Billinghay made hard work of disposing of Third Division Friskney Reserves and they needed extra time to seal their place in the final.

Ryan Plaskitt scored Billinghay’s opener but that was cancelled out by Friskney’s equaliser. Matthew Bean struck the winning goal for Billinghay, in extra time, but he also missed an earlier penalty in normal time.