FOOTBALL: Boston League round-up

editorial image

Taylors Garages Premier Division

Lee Llewellyn was on target for Billinghay Athletic in their 1-1 draw at home to Benington.

A late penalty miss denied Benington victory in a game dominated by a difficult strong wind. Tom Baxter’s 85th minute spot-kick was saved by home keeper Phil Soltys and the visitors had to be content with a share of the spoils.

Matthew Hood had opened the scoring for Benington in the first half before Billinghay levelled the scores after the break when Llewellyn pounced to salvage a point.

There was another 1-1 draw, this time at Skegness Town Reserves where Coningsby were the visitors. Josh Whittam grabbed the Skegness goal.

Old Leake’s strike duo, of Adam Tempest and Scott Mackay put Ruskington Rovers to the sword in their home encounter in very windy conditions. Both players claimed hat-tricks as Leake ran out 7-1 winners.

Tempest opened the scoring after five minutes and he added a second soon afterwards. James Leafe made it 3-0 before Tempest completed his hat trick when he hit Leake’s fourth after a corner had been cleared back out to

the striker.

In the second half, Mackay begun his scoring feat by eading home at the near post before Rovers reduced the arrears through Nathan Phillips. Steve Green was brought down in the penalty area and Scott Mackay stepped up to convert the spot-kick, although the Ruskington keeper made a valiant effort to keep it out.

Mackay completed the scoring with a towering header.

Taylors Ford Division Two

Two goals from striker James Todd helped Coningsby Reserves to a 3-1 home win against Kirton Town Reserves. Sean Taylor hit the other Coningsby goal.

Daniel Long also hit two goals for Pointon Reserves in their 3-1 home win against basement side Mareham United. Jason Chilvers was also on target for Pointon.

Challenge Cup

Friskney were made to fight for their passage through to the third round when the Division One outfit squeezed out FC Hammers 3-2.

Chris Harker, Jed Stainton and Victor Sibert hit the Friskney goals but third division Hammers remained in the tie until the final whistle.

Third Division underdogs Pointon A put up a tremendous fight at Division One leaders Boston College before also bowing out 3-2.

Gary Handley and Charlie Good grabbed the Pointon goals but the College held out to book their place in the next round.