FOOTBALL: Boston Saturday League reports round-up

editorial image

Boston Saturday Football League

Taylors Garages Premier Division

Heckington Millers entertained Coningsby and both sides did their best in conditions which weren’t the best as the pitch became very wet and boggy.

In a good battle between the both sides, it was The Millers who held a one-goal lead at the break through a Liam Tunstall tap-in when he pounced after a shot from Sean Jenkinson had hit both posts.

After the break, Coningsby came flying out the blocks and they stunned their opponents with a quick-fire two-goal salvo to lead 2-1.

However, Heckington carried on battling through the mud and deservedly got their just rewards when a shot from the edge of the box by Dominic Kew hit the inside of the post and went in to make the final score 2-2 which, in summary, was a fair result.

Benington bagged a last-gasp injury-time winner after battling back to overturn a two-goal half-time deficit in their home clash with Billinghay. The visitors had punished a lack-lustre opening period from Benington with two goals, but the hosts hit back with a rousing second half performance.

Danny Maddison halved the deficit with a sublime effort before Matthew Howard brought Benington level from the penalty spot. The hosts then snatched victory in injury-time when Ryan Lawson headed home at the far post

Pointon scored three times in their home match against Ruskington Rovers in a vital basement battle but they still finished on the losing side. In a crazy encounter, goals from Sam Husband, Russell Houlden and Martin Turner looked to have given Pointon a solid start as they stormed into a 3-0 lead. Ruskington somehow produced a comeback to end all comebacks by scoring six times in reply to run out 6-3 winners.

Taylors Ford Division Two

Park United got off to a decent start for the New year with a 2-0 home win against Billinghay Reserves.

Chris Wright and Craig Mountain both got on the score-sheet for Park. It was obvious the Christmas excesses which had taken its toll on Park’s players as they started very sluggishly, before Craig Mountain met a Ben Dean cross and powered the header into the net.

The second half was an evenly contested battle until 20 minutes from the end when Chris Wright was tripped up on the edge of the box. He he got up and placed the resulting free kick inside the far post to make it 2-0.

Holbeach Bank called off their home fixture against Pointon Reserves and the lowly strugglers were clearly disappointed after declaring that they had one of their strongest line-ups for a long time.

Taylors Vauxhall Division Three

FC Hammers enjoyed a great start to The New Year when they took all three points following a 2-1 home win against Northgate Olympic.

Kristian Taylor struck first for The Hammers from the penalty spot and new signing Reece Sullivan grabbed the winner with a superbly executed chip over the keeper.

Northgate’s goal came from Daniel Broughton.

Mark Smith grabbed two goals for Pointon ‘A’ in their 3-0 home win against Old Doningtonians Reserves. Joe Wade was also on target for the home side.