FOOTBALL: Hard fought win ends Heckington Millers’ poor run

editorial image

Taylors Garages Premier Division

Heckington finally ended their poor run with a 2-1 home win over Fishtoft.

After the Heckington keeper had thwarted Fishtoft on three occasions with some fine saves, Kane Brown gave The Millers the lead with a neat finish in what was an evenly contested first half.

Fishtoft equalised straight after the break when Ryan Mason’s perfectly timed run and header found the net, and the remainder of the game was an end to end affair until 10 minutes from time when a great block on the edge of the penalty area by a Fishtoft defender saw Dom Kew pounce upon the loose ball to fire home.

Heckington then held on to their slender lead for the rest of the match to earn a hard fought victory.

Kirton Town received a much needed boost as they continued their battle to move away from the relegation zone.

A 5-4 away win at Billinghay Athletic was just the tonic they needed as they prepare for their next big game – a difficult home match against title-chasing, Spilsby Town.

They left it late on Saturday in a real topsy-turvy battle. The signs were not good for Kirton as they trailed 3-0 to the home side, who were boosted by the return of star striker Jac Wright, before the visitors pulled a goal back through Ash Davies. Wright struck a hat-trick on his return while Adam Brett also got on the scoresheet.

Kirton continued to believe in themselves and slowly they clawed their way back into the match, turning it on its head to lead 4-3 following two goals from Martin Durrant and Chris Hilton.

Billinghay looked to have rescued a point, however, when they levelled the scores with just five minutes left. But their was still time for one last twist when Kirton’s Kurt West popped up with a crucial winner – a 25-yard screamer into the top corner in the final moments of the game.

Spilsby Town went back to the top of the table while Wyberton Reserves were pre-occupied in the Fishtoft Cup semi-final.

Town’s 3-0 home win against lowly Pointon kept them on course for the title following goals from Josh Wood, Eddie Rich and Dan Cobb.

Ruskington Rovers chalked up another three crucial points with a 2-0 home win against Skegness Town Reserves.

Goals from Matt Gorman and Sam Jackson did the damage for the home side.

Taylors Peugeot Division One

Old Doningtonians gained three valuable points with a comfortable 4-0 home win against Swineshead Reserves.

Ex-Swineshead striker Chris Wing did his old team-mates no favours with a double strike, while Ollie Gedney and Luke Barnett were also on target.

Taylors Ford Division Two

Coningsby Reserves had a fine 3-2 away win at Eastern European FC with goals from Sean Taylor, Jamie Todd and Mitchell Ablard.

The home side went close to salvaging some reward with goals from Tomas Ragelis and Piotr Puchala.

Holbeach Bank scored twice at home against Billinghay Reserves through Garth Baxter and Stuart Stephens but it wasn’t enough to gain any reward as they went down 4-2.

The Bank came up against Billinghay striker Adam Underwood-Harley who was on top form, netting a fine hat-trick, while Reece Maidens completed the scoring.

Mareham United were minus four key players for their home game against Pointon Reserves and they fell to a 3-0 defeat.

The basement side did have a couple of decent chances in the second half but they failed to find the net and Pointon ran out comfortable winners with goals from Shane George, Chris Barnes and Tom Wickens.

Taylors Vauxhall Division Three

Northgate Olympic dealt a blow to Spilsby Reserves’ promotion aspirations when they recorded a hard fought 2-1 home win.

Julian Bicknell and Gareth Tomlinson grabbed the all-important goals for the Sleaford side, while Matt Upton replied for the visitors.

Pointon ‘A’ and Spalding Harriers shared the spoils following their 2-2 draw.

Gary Handley and Charles Good grabbed the Pointon goals and Addo Isaac and Steve Davies replied for the Harriers.