FOOTBALL: Sleaford Town’s FA Cup dream is over

Action from Sleaford Town's FA Cup clash with Stamford on Saturday. Photo: David Dawson
Action from Sleaford Town's FA Cup clash with Stamford on Saturday. Photo: David Dawson

FA Cup

Preliminary Round

Sleaford Town 0

Stamford 3

Sleaford Town’s FA Cup dreams came crashing down at the hands of the Daniels at a windy Eslaforde Park on Saturday, their higher league opposition restricting the home side to just several chances throughout the affair.

Just two minutes in, Stamford had the first opportunity of the game with Ryan Robbins cutting in from the right wing before having his curling left footed strike deflected over the bar and out for a corner.

Sleaford had their first chance of the game 10 minutes later when their number 11, George Asplin, shot wide from range. Joe Smith also fired wide of the mark.

The Greens found themselves a goal down in the 17th minute after a long throw-in fell to Jake Duffy who took the ball past two Sleaford defenders before crossing to the back post where Jordan Smith rose highest to head into the goal.

Just six minutes later, the Daniels doubled their lead. Delroy Gordon swung in a cross from the right side and Robbins got the final touch goalbound from a crowd including Jordan Smith and Sleaford keeper Alex Smith.

The dominance continued from Stamford on the 28th minute when Robbins was played in on goal but his strike was well saved by Smith this time.

In the 35th minute Jevani Brown had the next chance for Stamford, after playing a one-two with Jordan Smith his shot was well blocked by the Sleaford defence.

As the game moved towards half time, the Stamford pressure didn’t drop, but a switched ball from David Bell found Ollie Luto whose shot across goal was well saved again by Smith in the Sleaford goal.

Luto was involved again a minute later, this time trying to provide, his cross found Ryan Robbins at the back post but he was unable to put his shot on target.

After the half time break Stamford came out and looked to continue their domination of the game.

This was the case as their first chance came just three minutes after the kick-off with a David Bell free kick on target but saved by Smith.

Just a minute later, Sleaford went 3-0 down. David Bell carried the ball down the left wing before crossing to the back post where Jordan Smith was lurking. His header travelled across the face of the goal where it fell to Jake Duffy who headed home.

On the 51st minute Stamford had two good chances, the first falling to Luto whose shot was deflected after he was set up by Robbins and then the next to Jordan Smith who was played in on goal after a long ball but had his shot blocked.

Just a minute later there was another chance as David Bell swung in a corner which was met by the head of Paul Malone who headed into the ground but then looped over the cross bar.

Sleaford replaced Asplin with Jason Sedlan with several minutes remaining, but it was far too late to redress the balance.

Sleaford Town comprised Alex Smith, Sam Greenwood, Mikes Lynch, Jon Smith, Charlie Wood, Lee Warman, Ryan Anderson (Pete Sutton), Jack Pemberton, Ryan Oliver, Tom Siddons (Craig Bridge) and George Asplin (Jason Sedglan).