Last minute defeat as United left to rue officials’ decision

Share this article


Heckington United 2 Louth Town Reserves 3

Heckington started at a good pace and with new signing Jason Sedlan quickly settling in the whole team played some neat simple football and had the better of the first half.

Goals from Tom Robinson on 11 minutes and Sam Greenwood on 31 minutes meant United went in at half time with a two goal lead.

Louth did have a couple of chances but their best opportunity was brilliantly saved by Ben Jackson in the home goal.

After the break the game was more evenly balanced and Louth began to press forward, with their apparent higher level of fitness proving decisive and resulting in goals in the 68th and 76th minutes to level the match.

In the final minute a poor decision by the officials gave Louth the ball and they sneaked a final goal to give them an undeserved win.

Despite the defeat, Heckington can take some comfort from their performance and if they maintain the form shown in the first half throughout the 90 minutes they will hope to pick up points and move up the table.

Sleaford Town Boys Under 13s 5 Gonerby Under 13s 1

Roland Nye gave Sleaford the lead, blasting his shot past the keeper following a good ball from Ethan Wright.

Less than five minutes later, Owen Park collected an excellent long pass from Daniel Gee, dribbled round a couple of defenders and tucked the ball away to make it 2-0.

Gonerby now raised their game and started to win more of the loose balls in midfield but great covering play by Jack Broughton and Daniel Monterio and timely tackles from Daniel Gee and Bradley-Hennessy-Thompson and a determined James Hebden on the right kept them at bay.

Against the run of play, Zac Willmont pushed through the Gonerby defence and delivered an excellent cross to Harry Dean, who stylishly netted Sleaford’s third.

Gonerby maintained the pressure in the second half but Lewis Brockington made some impressive saves to deny them.

James Whitaker took a punt in midfield and sublimely drove home from 30 yards out to extend Sleaford’s lead to four goals. David Walkington then set up Willmont for the fifth.

A dip in concentration near the end allowed Gonerby to claim a late consolation goal.

Man of the Match: Ethan Wright.

Sleaford U13: Lewis Brockington, James Hebden, Daniel Monteiro, Harry Dean, Owen Park, David Walkington, Zac Willmont, Daniel Gee, Roland Nye, Ethan Wright (capt), Jack Broughton. Subs (all used): Bradley Hennessy-Thompson & James Whitaker