Town bank cash boost

Sleaford Town FC Comment

By Lloyd Harmston

Manager Glen Maddison again had top players missing like Joe Braithwaite, Jason Sedlan, Pete Sutton, Tony Edwards and Ryan Oliver, as he took his squad to the pleasant surroundings of East Midlands club Blaby & Whetstone in the FA Vase on Saturday.

Oliver has a serious ankle ligament problem. Also, Harry Millard is on crutches after turning over his ankle on the pitch at Eslaforde Park a few days earlier.

The Town boss was reasonable satisfied with the result as he said immediately after the game: “Yes, it was okay. We did what we had to do, even if it was not exactly sparkling. Our keeper Andy Hewitt did very well to keep us in the game early on but I thought we comfortably kept them at bay for the remainder of the game.

“It was an all-round team effort so it is always difficult to pick out any individual but I thought Nick Bishop again did very well for us at the back. Nathan Rawdon also gave a good display at right-back and Ash Murrell ran himself into the ground. We did the job and in the process picked up another very valuable £700 from the FA as our reward for going through this round.”

l Town had another Tuesday evening game last night with the visit of league newcomers Quorn for a UCL League Cup KO first-round tie.

On Saturday, it is back to league action with a difficult trip to Newport Pagnall, currently fourth in the table and undefeated so far. The following Tuesday (September 25) Town are away to another newcomer Shepshed Dynamo, comfortably sitting in mid-table.

United Counties League

Premier Division

Sleaford Town 1

Peterborough Northern Star 1

Town picked up a priceless point against tough Northern Star in last Tuesday evening’s fixture at Eslaforde Park.

In fact, Glen Maddison’s side looked the better outfit in the first half, perhaps the best 45 minutes of the season so far.

This was despite the unavailability of suspended Edwards, Braithwaite, Adam Fenton, Oliver and Sargeant. It meant a move to centre-back for Nick Bishop, who along with Kris Jones looked very solid while Nathan Rawdon and Steve Lovett both played very well.

Town’s football was very good in the first half, as they out-played a side who they have always found very difficult to overcome. Yet it was goal-less up to half-time despite a header from the visiting striker that just cleared the woodwork and a tremendous drive from Town’s Ashley Murrell that rattled the opposing crossbar.

It all happened in the second half. Northern Star took the lead somewhat against the run of play and it took a penalty for Town to restore parity. Not for the first time it was Liam Tunstall who won the award and he then converted from the spot to give his side a well-deserved point. Regrettably, the playing surface found a victim when teenager Harry Millard turned his ankle and had to leave the field.

Town: 1 Hewitt; 2 Rawdon; 3 Lovett; 4 Jones; 5 Bishop; 6 Popple, 7 Murrell; 8 Jackson; 9 Tunstall; 10 Millard; 11 Hollingworth.