Second half try blitz sees under 12s win Bowl final

Sleaford Rugby Club under 12s. EMN-150323-150223001
Sleaford Rugby Club under 12s. EMN-150323-150223001

Sleaford Rugby Club under 12s stormed to victory in the Bowl Championships at the Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire and Derbyshire finals.

They were denied the opportunity to play in the Shield final by a very strong West Bridgford side in the qualifying group.

Although Sleaford won the opening game against West Bridgford one try to nil, it was the Nottingham side who took the honours in the second game, winning 2-0.

But Sleaford bounced back well following this disappointment, dominating the second half of their Bowl semi-final against Spalding to win that game 4-1, after the sides were tied at one try apiece going in to half time.

In the final, Sleaford faced Ashfield Rugby Club, a team they had never previously played against.

After an evenly-contested first half in which both sides scored a try and the defences held sway, Sleaford turned in a masterclass in the second half, running in four unanswered tries to win the Bowl in emphatic style, 5-1.

n Entertaining Southwell Second XV on Saturday, Sleaford Rugby Club Seconds went down 43-17.

Sleaford began the game a player short and the visitors were quick to take the lead through a converted try.

But Sleaford fought back and, now with a full complement of players, went over for two first half tries through Gilder and Collyer, but it was the visitors who led at half time, 22-12, thanks to two more tries, one converted, and a penalty.

Injury to Sleaford’s John Rudkin led to a shuffle in the pack, with Mike Resoli stepping in to the breach.

Within two minutes of the restart, Southwell had pulled further ahead with another converted try.

Although Sleaford battled hard, Southwell began to dominate the match and went close to scoring on several occasions, only to be denied by the defensive bravery of Slyfield, Beever, Shields, Gilder and Ambler.

Dixon battered his way through two defenders to score Sleaford’s third try of the game, but it was Southwell who proved the stronger, adding two further converted tries in quick succession for a final score of 43-17.