Sleaford Swimming Club’s Annual Gala was held last Wednesday, with trophies presented by former president Peter Onyon and his wife Ann.
Sleaford Swimming Club has some amazing swimmers and the number of trophies given out was quite astounding. Many of the trophies date back as far as the 1930s. The club congratulated all who took part.
Peter was invited to present the trophies as he is the one and only life member of the club.
Peter was president of Sleaford Swimming Club from 1990, until Mike Parker took over until 2000. In Peter’s time at the club he has carried out the role of secretary, club chairman and then president.
Peter recalled the history of swimming in Sleaford which began in 1896 when Sleaford Swimming Baths were started by Lord Bristol, hence they were called ‘Bristol Baths’. The pool was built and filled periodically with water from the River Slea, and consequently only opened in the summer.
Sleaford Swimming Club was formed in 1936 and four years later the pool water had been chlorinated and was circulated by a pump. Water polo began to get popular in the 1940s and schools started to utilise the pool in the 1950s and galas began to be held.
The club club began to use RAF Cranwell’s indoor pool for galas in the 1960s and finally, by 1980, the Sleaford pool had a roof over the top.
The club continues to thrive and has six Level 2 coaches at poolside and five non-qualified helpers and instructors. The club is affiliated to The Royal Lifesaving Society and runs Rookie Lifeguard courses and National Pool Lifeguard Qualification Courses too.
Find Sleaford Swimming Club on Facebook.